Monday, August 17, 2009

New information on Grandpa

The last few months as my family and I have gone to see Grandpa there hadn’t been much change in his condition until lately, he would have good and bad days but for the most part he had more good days. I went to visit on Aug 6th and he was doing pretty good he was awake and alert he talk to us, mostly about his past he asked when Kent, Rog and Larry were coming to get him to go fishing. He talked about going fishing east of the old swimming hole. We had a good visit my favorite part was when the nurse came by and asked Grandpa if he knew who I was and he grab my hand and said “this is my sweetie” and kissed my hand. I’m not sure if he really knew or not but he made me feel special.
Kent saw him on Aug 13th and said he was awake and very talkative then as well.
If you look close you can see that his eyes are open in this picture.
For those of you who don’t see him very often I thought I would post a few pictures.
My Dad hasn’t been able to see him for a few days but did get there tonight and Grandpa wasn’t having a good day and from what the nurses said has been that way a few days. He has refused food and water for 2-3 days now and had a very glossy look in his eyes. He also seems to be having some pain but no one is sure where it’s coming from every time they touch him even to hold his hand he gets upset and says that it hurts. Roger talked to him about Grandma and Carolyn and asked him “do you want to go home?” and that seemed to help calm him down a little bit. When Roger got there he was breathing fast and his heart rate was a little elevated. His oxygen levels have been dropping as low as 73% when he’s sleeping once they get the oxygen on for a while it comes back up to around 95% he doesn’t like the oxygen on so that makes it a little tricky. His hospice nurse (Jason) said that typically once he stops eating and drinking most people usually don’t make it very long the most is about 7 days. But if they can get him to drink something it may be as long as a month.
No one is really sure how much longer Grandpa has to live, we don’t know if this is his last few days or if he will make it another few months. We just wanted everyone to know what things are going on right now and share what we have heard from the nurses. I will keep the blog up to date with what I know. I’m sorry it has been so long between updates I know that some of you check often to see how thing are going and I will try really hard to help you stay in touch by sharing what I know about Grandpa’s condition.

1 comment:

Kaylynn said...

Thanks for the update Angelyn. Kent actually called my dad last night and he called me so our family is aware but thanks for thinking of us. I love that picture of you and Spencer. That was the day I was with you huh? I need to post my picture with grandpa. I love it. Thanks again for keeping us updated.